Body Modification: Navel removal & Surgery
Take a closer look at the photo below. You’ll notice there is no belly button. No, this has not been Photoshopped out. It’s been surgically removed. The removal of the navel is a very rare type of body modification. As many professional cosmetic surgeons and body modification artists will not perform this type of procedure. Due to lack of medical necessities.
Navel Removal is a procedure that completely removes the belly button. By skinning the navel down to its base. Then closing it up with a combination of internal and external sutures. Although that may sound quite easy. Navel removal is a very difficult procedure. Only fully trained professional body modification artists should perform this type of procedure. Or surgeons who have profound knowledge in this type of procedure. Such as Samppa Von Cyborg. One of the most recognizable and most published body artists in the world. Emilio Gonzalez has also had his Navel removed. He also specializes in this surgical procedure.
There is a cosmetic surgery that can modify the appearances of the belly button. This is called Naval Surgery. Also known as umbilicoplasty. This procedure is for both men and women. Who are unhappy with the appearance, size or position of their belly buttons. Which has left them feeling insecure about it. Victoria Secret model Karolina Kurkova does not have belly buttons due to medical problems.
Reasons for Navel Surgery:
- Most commonly performed when a patient is undergoing a tummy tuck
- Navel surgery can repair badly shaped navel, naturally formed at the time of birth.
- To make an ‘outie’ into an ‘innie’ or making an ‘innie’ less obvious. By lessening the size of the hole.
- Correct an umbilical hernia.
- Change the appearance of one’s belly button by either creating a vertical direction belly button. Rather than a horizontal one or to create a T-shaped belly button.
- Repair changed belly buttons post surgery, pregnancy, injury, ageing or weight loss.
Recovery and Risks:
After Naval removal or Navel surgery, your belly will be quite swollen, bruised and painful for a few days. Recovery for both generally takes a week or so. Depending on the nature of the procedure. In order to maintain the best results, it is important not to lose or gain too much weight. Very rare risks of these procedures include infections, scars or irregular appearance of the belly button. Which may require further surgery.